Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Hutch


I am currently building a hutch for my mom's kitchen. I completed her kitchen cabinets last year, and had two remaining cabinets to build: a food pantry and a hutch. The pantry is pictured to the right. Aprroximately 6 1/2 feet tall, 30 inches wide and 15 inches deep. Made from red oak, and has four doors, one drawer, and four shelves.

Unlike the "formal" kitchen cabinets, these two will be free standing, and not connected to any other cabinets. I finished the pantry cabinet in January, and I am about half-way through building the hutch. I'll post some pictures later, but the hutch is basically built with two parts: the lower section and the upper section. At this point the lower section needs a final coat of finish and the top and doors need to be attached. So far, I have built the face frame and side panels for the upper section. Tonight I hope to start on the door frames. I decided to use glass instead of raised panels (used on the doors of the lower section). I'm thinking of that stuff called "water glass", which you can see through but things look sort of blurry.

1 comment:

  1. One kind of Kitchen cabinet organizer is a roll-out shelf – like a combination of a shelf and a drawer, where the shelf typically rolls out to about ¾ of its total length. This saves space and adds convenience by enabling you to store more kitchen utensils and appliances in the cabinet, while making access even easier than without it.Cooking Equipment

    ReplyDelete