Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hutch, Lower Unit

Yesterday I put the top on the lower unit of the hutch, so at that point it was ready to leave the shop. We tied it to a hand truck and brought it up, a stair at a time. Once I got it in the living room, I then attached the hinges and the doors. This cabinet uses Blum European style hinges. They're nice, because they can be adjusted in three directions -- this makes it easier to align the doors to each other.

Notice the vertical opening between the left and center doors. I did that purposefully; I didn't want to place a stile between the doors, it would just be an obstacle to putting things in and out of the cabinet. What I'll do is take a 1/2" thick strip of oak and attach it to the backside of the leftmost door so that it will look like there is a stile there.

Now it's back to working on the upper unit...

No comments:

Post a Comment